Waging war in the urban jungle

Thursday, December 30, 2010

The most wonderful proud feeling

This is how my son described himself to me moments ago on the phone.  Why was he so proud?  He finished his second chapter book.

I ask my kids to read daily when school is out, I think their little brains need the exercise.  He finished the first book last week and called me to share his happiness that day, he just couldn't wait to tell me until I picked him up.  I loved that.

He picked out a new book Monday morning, read that day at his Grandma's, yesterday was a busy day so he didn't spend any time with his book.  But today when I dropped him off we agreed that he would spend time with his book this morning since he has a play date this afternoon. 

He just called me a few minutes ago to tell me he finished that book too!  Now, these are not huge books, nor should they be for a beginning reader.  The first was a Werewolf Club book and the second a Junie B Jones book, but both are around 80 pages, and he finished them!  He's so proud of himself and I am just as proud of him. 

What I really love though is how excited he is to share his accomplishments with me.  He's proud of himself.  He worked hard, he finished the task, he feels pride.  He's connecting those three things early which I hope will take him far, not only in school but also in life.

3 comments:

  1. YES!! YES!!!! YES!!!!!!! You should set him up with a blog that he can write about his books when he is done--or get him set up on Goodreads.com---he can keep track of all the books he finishes and wants to read--it is AWESOME!

    Does he like The Magic Tree House series? Joey Pigza books are awesome too (might be good for next year for him though). Also: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Judy Moody, The Time Warp Trio series, For Boys Only: The Biggest, Baddest Book Ever by Marc Aronson, Hank the Cowdog series, Detective Camp series....

    OMG I LOVE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your son ROCKS!! SO DO YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He SHOULD be proud of himself! That's awesome, Krista! I'm proud of him too! Looks like we'll have to pick up lots of books for him at Powell's when I come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powells is one of Paulo's favorite places. We start out with soy lattes and cocoa and then wander the kids section. I look forward to being able to wander the rest of the store as he gets older.

    Sunshine, we have three of the Wimpy Kid books, I read him the first one, he's rereading it himself during silent reading time at school, and once we're done with Harry Potter we'll go back and finish up that series. I don't know if he's read any magic tree house, but I think I have some upstairs. I will have to check. I might look into the goodreads thing, that's a cute idea, it would definately be a big deal to him to be publishing anything on the internet!

    ReplyDelete