Waging war in the urban jungle

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 3

I'm three days into my Spring Cleanse and I must say....it's a hell of a lot easier than last Spring!  I credit that to the fact that I have been living **mostly** clean all year.  That said, I do feel like Spring is a great time to really evaluate the diet and take on a cleanse if you're so inclined.  I know from last time that I felt great when I was done.  I had a lot more energy and felt more clear headed.  Did all my new found good habits last?  No, the coffee slipped back in, the extra drinks here and there came back along with the accompanying sugar monster episodes.  But I remember how great I felt when I was done.  I felt accomplished, peaceful, calm and it was all accomplished through food and I want to feel that again.  Food influences my mood.  This year I'm changing it up a bit.

This Spring my cleanse period is two weeks down from last year's three, two days of that will be dedicated juice fasts, this weekend in fact.  I've never done a juice fast but I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm forgoing coffee, sugar, wheat, dairy, soy and alcohol.  I'm eating TONS of fresh produce, grains like quinoa, rice and millet, I'm eating beans and occasionally fish and eggs.  I'm drinking what feels like gallons of water and herbal teas and drinking green juice daily.  Already I feel better.  I will say though I'm missing my caffeine.  Without any java I'm fighting to stay awake past 8:00!  I know my body will re adapt, I just need to get over the shock of the first few days.  I have had tiny twinges of withdrawal headaches but nothing to get too worked up about. 

To be honest, sometimes I wish I could just eat whatever I want and ignore the consequences but the bottom line is I like the way I feel when I eat clean.  I'm calmer, I'm happier, I'm more at peace and feel more patient.  I just wish it wasn't so much darn work sometimes!  It's easy to grab a bag of chips and nosh away it takes time and effort to make sure I have my fruit washed and cut up for the day, but darn it, I'm worth it and that's what I need to remind myself of again and again and again.

4 comments:

  1. I really want to do this, but I think I'll take baby steps for now. I'm going to at least try to go dairy free on Monday. But I did have a fresh squeezed juice today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going dairy free now may be a big help to you but in all honesty I would wait until after your 10K to make any major changes to your diet. I've been wiped out these past few days, I just feel today like i'm turning the corner and getting more energy. It's a variety of factors not just my cleanse, but it's taken a while to find my groove with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I was thinking actually. I'm not totally dairy free right now, but I've been avoiding it as much as I can, but I was thinking after the 10k I might do some time of cleanse to try to re-boot. Perhaps you can help me? We talk later?

    ReplyDelete