Waging war in the urban jungle

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day one

Today is the official day one for my liver detox plan. Although I've been "practicing" for a few days. I haven't had any alcohol since Monday. Yesterday I didn't have any coffee, although to be honest I did have green tea, three cups, that does have caffeine. Still the withdrawal headache sucked. This morning I feel only a trace of that headache. I will have one cup of caffeinated green tea this morning. The rest of the day I will drink buckets of decaf tea. I find the tea to be very soothing and nurturing to my spirit.

This morning I am having my usual lemon water and will make a double batch of smoothie. Last night I made my green broth. Basically as many green veggies you can find, kale, chard, leeks, etc., in a pot filled with water and simmer for an hour. I added cilantro, garlic, serrano chile and a hunk of ginger last night. It smelled fabulous. That will be my soup of the day. I have a nice healthy salmon dinner planned.

The urge to have a drink is decreasing. The urge to have coffee is not...yet. I've been battling a while though with my caffeine intake, I knew it was too high. I know, everything in moderation, but for me I need to quit so that I can get back to a moderate consumption. It's like rebooting your computer, sometimes it gets stuck and you have no choice but to push the power button even though it's going to yell at you and give you a nasty note about how it wasn't shut down properly! This is my reboot. I need to wipe the slate clean and then get back to really seeing how much I want of any particular food or beverage.

Oh, interesting side note, last night a lovely customer brought us freshly baked cookies as a thank you. Paulo had his for dessert, the boy loves his dessert! I was pretty full from dinner however in the past still would have choked down a cookie...or two. I had zero desire for a cookie last night. Not sure if it has anything to do with my spring cleaning or not, but whatever it is, I'll take it.

I have a big test coming up though. We've been invited to dinner Saturday night to a friends house where wine and rich foods are the norm. On one hand I would love to go, he will have quite the interesting dinner party assembled, on the other hand, I don't....because then I'll have to explain why I'm not drinking. I suppose I shouldn't feel uncomfortable about telling people I'm taking a self imposed two week break from alcohol but drinking is so ingrained in our society that to say no thanks, I'm not drinking, is just...weird.

1 comment:

  1. This happened to me when I was on the horrible Master Cleanse. I dreaded social situations where I had to tell people "Um, I can't eat...I'm doing a nasty master cleanse..." and I just waited to be made fun of, but it never came. Most of them were understanding, had done it, or were just plain curious. It was kind of nice to not get what I expected. So I think if you're doing the whole "liver detox" thing, you'll just get questions and you'll feel proud of yourself that you were able to stand your ground =)

    ReplyDelete