Waging war in the urban jungle

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Love, cake and surprises



My sister in law, Andrea, hits a milestone on Wednesday.  She turns 30.  To celebrate this momentous occasion, we tricked her. 

A couple of months ago, her friend, Kristin, emailed me and we started talking about how to celebrate this birthday.  Let's face it, 30 is big.  It's not the end of the world by any means-in fact I really liked turning 30, Paulo was a newborn and I was head over heels in love with him-but it's still a milestone birthday.  We decided to throw her a party.  The question though was whether to involve her or surprise her.  I did a little recon and found out that yes, my consummate planner sister wanted a surprise party-always had.  Ok, surprise party it is!

We gathered a list of her special friends, decided on a date and sent out invitations. To get Andrea here on time and dressed appropriately I sent out a fake invitation for a "welcome Summer" party.  She bought it.  She even asked if she could invite her good friend Kristin, A.K.A. my co conspirator, to which I said of course, the more the merrier. 

The big day drew near and the excitement grew.  I happily shopped for food and drinks-and in both regards went way overboard!  I bustled about cleaning and preparing food.  All the while hoping she really didn't know what we were doing. 
Finally the day arrived, as did the guest of honor!  She looks surprised right?  We all gathered just inside my front door with drinks in hand as she and her roomie, Morgan, another co conspirator, came to the door.  Paulo opened the door and shrieked SURPRISE!!  She saw us all gathered there, people that are all important to her in different aspects of her life but oddly all gathered in her brother's house, we sang Happy Birthday and, quite naturally, a few tears fell.  Then the hugging commenced!  First her Mother, then each brother, both nephews, me and quite a few friends.  I'm sure it was a bit like running the gauntlet, without fear of being stabbed, only hugged....indefinitely. 

I've thrown many a party since I met my husband. We like to celebrate!  We know how to eat, drink and be merry!  This was one of my favorite parties.  I loved watching Andrea smile, watching her bask in the love of her friends and family, knowing that she's important to each and every person that was there-and to the few who regretfully couldn't make it.  Birthdays weren't always that big of a deal in my household growing up and there's a bit of sadness from that.  I'm glad that I am able to make them a big deal now.  A birthday is so much more than just another year passing, an excuse to eat cake or buy/receive presents.  They are a celebration of all that you've accomplished and anticipation of all that is still to come.  And, Andrea, you've accomplished a lot this year and I think you will climb even higher in the year to come.  Enjoy 30 my sister, it's a good year.










2 comments:

  1. Oh I was surprised alright. It took me a moment to realize who the surprise was for!

    Thank you for the sweet post, and hosting the party of course! I wish I could have tried a little bit of all the food!

    I do look forward to 30!

    ReplyDelete