Waging war in the urban jungle

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

At least he's reading!

My son is 5. He loves words, always has. As a book worm myself that thrilled me to my very core. We would sit for hours and read board book after board book after bored...err, board, book. Once he could talk he would recite them word for word, again THRILLED Momma here! It was my personal goal to teach him to read before he started Kindergarten, not sure why that was so important to me but it was, and we succeeded. He was reading simple books before he started school this past September. Now he amuses himself by reading street signs and business names as we drive about town. Last week we found our car stopped at a light in front of Tobacco Town in SW Portland. I listened as he struggled to sound out Tobacco, he hadn't quite gotten it so I nudged him in the right direction. Which inevitably led to a discussion of what exactly IS tobacco and why he should never, ever, ever smoke it. It was a convenient two for one since my teenage son was also in the car with us. I hoped my words would sink it, but didn't know until today that my message had indeed took hold in his tender brain. Today we were stopped at the same light, we often hit the red during this part of our commute, and again he reads the name Tobacco Town and tells me that he doesn't ever want to go in there! Looks a few feet to the left however and says "Cold Beer! Mmmm mmm! I want to get some of that!" Well....at least he's reading right?

1 comment: