Waging war in the urban jungle

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My secret weapon in the war on veggies

Well really the war for veggies I suppose. Paulo loves Dijon. He loves all things sour, salty and a little spicy. I stumbled across this recipe for a veggie sauce while watching the Food Network during our housebound stint with piggy flu last October.





Simple ingredients:

Simple instructions:


Juice 1/2 of a lemon.

Add 1/2 tsp Dijon

Whisk in 1 tbsp olive oil

salt to taste

Pour over broccoli and watch it magically disappear! Last night Paulo actually asked for MORE broccoli!! When I was little my Momma made a gooey cheese sauce to pour over the overcooked broccoli and cauliflower. You couldn't taste the veggie beneath it and I suppose that was the point. This stuff is so good that it was enticed my 5 year old to eat roasted turnips and at least try roasted brussel sprouts-we're still working on liking that one!

4 comments:

  1. o.m.g. I'm so glad you put up the recipe. I have all the ingredients...except the veggies...since I'm moving. But YES, I know have a reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a healthy dip w/ veggies is a win-win situation. Dylan and Caroline love edamame but other veggies I usually serve with an all natural organic "Ranch" kind of dip. Dylan will usually eat them w/o but not the Bella Bee. Getting more veggies into a growing body is a good thing. And I put them in all kinds of things (smoothies, muffins). How did Paulo get into Dijon? That is a very sophisticated thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMY!!!! I am going to have to give it a shot! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen-he's a sophisticated boy! Actually the honey mustard dipping sauce that he has with his chicken nuggets opened the door to dijon. But he will seriously eat every bite of his broccoli and then try to lick the plate!

    ReplyDelete