Waging war in the urban jungle

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The sweetest sound

Is silence! I said that the early bedtime is for Paulo's benefit but...truth be told...Momma needed some peace and quiet tonight! My brain, it's done. It's filled to capacity. My ability to Mommy him, that's done too. I'm not cranky (well maybe a little!) I'm just done! It's been a long and draining week. The end of the week coupled with the end of the month stress at the shop multiplied by tying up the end of the year to get my papers to my accountant-oh and add a teenager studying for finals-yeah, I'm done. Stick a fork in me! I feel flat. Blah. One dimensional. So I did what any Mom would do, I put my child to bed early! And really it is for his well being too. #1 he needs more sleep. #2 he doesn't need to be around Cranky Mommy! We ended our evening on a high note, a little snuggle, a little Berenstein Bear story and now a lot of silence.

I love silence. Rene loves to have the TV on. Even as background noise in the morning. I come down early-cause again I need some silence before the noise starts-and I start breakfast in peace and quiet. He comes down...and turns on the news. I'm not fond of the news. It's filled with negativity. The worst of society gets the most energy and attention. Just once I'd like to see a news station that only celebrates the good things people do and honors those of us that are just doing our thing and living life respectful of ourselves, the planet and our fellow man. But...they'd never be able to see ad spaces, so in the absence of revenue they will continue with the negativity. During the summer, when I don't have to rush two kids out the door to school, I let them sleep and I have time alone after Rene leaves for work. I LOVE that first moment of pure, sweet silence when I turn off the TV. It's kind of like that relief I get in that first second after I turn off the lights at night. I love that feeling, it's so soothing.

I'm going to enjoy my time alone right now. I can feel my body recharging, kind of like Wall-E when he recharges his battery you see the little lines adding up and then hear that chime....I haven't heard my chime yet but I'm getting there!

2 comments:

  1. I am actually a person who likes listening to some kind of background noise. Nevah eveh the tv. That is irritating. But I love to have NPR on...either the all talk NPR or the classical music NPR station (or the iPod). I think because I am such a loner and such a quiet person, I need the music otherwise it is too much silence. It does not surprise me that you like the silence as you are very social and I can see that most of your day is usually finely controlled chaos w/ lots of chatter. You are very much like my brother, Jeff, with whom you share the same birthday. Never met a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love background noise! I think it stems from me living alone for so many (6) years...I would put the tv on as soon as I got home, and often would have it on all night as I slept (unless I had an, er, overnight guest). I wouldn't necessarily WATCH the tv, but the sound of people talking, music, etc made me feel less alone. To this day I have to have the tv on when I fall asleep (hubby turns it off when he comes into bed later).

    But I hear you on the alone time. Need it, crave it, cherish it.

    ReplyDelete