Waging war in the urban jungle

Friday, May 7, 2010

Channeling my inner Garbo

I want to be left alone....
Man, sometimes I just want to look at my family and tell them....I want to be left alone! Just for a few sweet moments of peace and quiet. Please. Just a few stolen moments.
I tried to steal my moments last night after I put Paulo to bed and snuggled him til he fell asleep. I don't get that opportunity as much anymore. To actually snuggle my son as he drifts off. But after little Luke's death yesterday I just wanted to be with him. To hear his sweet sleep breathing. To curl up with him. To know he wants me there by the death grip on my arm. Every time I tried to slip away his grip tightened until he was finally fully asleep. I love those moments. They make up for some of the stress and chaos.
After he was asleep I did what most mothers do at 9 pm, folded laundry. Then I decided to hide. To indulge myself. I'd DVR'd the season of The Price of Beauty but had only been able to see one episode. So I plopped down upstairs to watch some fluff. I like the show, it's very interesting to see the lengths that some women go to in order to meet some ideal of beauty. Rene was watching a basketball game so I figured I was safe. Uh no. I got 1/2 way through the first show and up the stairs comes Rene....whatcha' doing? I didn't have the heart to tell him I was hiding...from him. That, as Garbo so eloquently said...I want to be left alone! Sigh, I suppose it is good to know that after 10 years together he still wants to spend his leisure time with me. But seriously sometimes I don't. I did however stick to my guns and said no I did not want to go down and watch Lost I'm happy watching my fluffy POB and giggling with Jessica Simpson and her buddies. (I secretly wish I could be Jessica's friend and travel to Tokyo or Rio with her, although I think I would pass on the fish pedicure and being buried alive in sand. Those do not sound like relaxing spa treatments to me!) I was quite surprised to find my 40 year old husband willing to sit there and watch the show with me. Don't get me wrong I love my boys but man sometimes a girl just needs a little time to herself.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE time to myself. I think that as moms it is rare that we get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, time to ourselves is a luxury that we rarely get while we're raising those babies. Good thing they're so darn cute huh?

    ReplyDelete