Waging war in the urban jungle

Monday, May 10, 2010

Seeing through the eyes of a child

Another Mom stopped me on our way in to school today to tell me something about my sweet boy. She'd asked her daughter who she wanted to have in her class next year (the classes are going to be blended 1/2 and split up into three rooms). This little girl named Paulo as one of her top two friends that she hopes to have in her classroom next year. The Mom told me that she thinks it it because Paulo is so loyal. That's the word she used. He's a loyal friend. That while he might sometimes be...a bit "much" or in your face at times, he's a loyal and loving friend and her daughter really appreciates that about my son. This to me is a huge compliment and I'm so happy that other children see the good shine though. My boy can be hyper. He's a normal boy and gets excited about things and wants to share that excitement with everyone within a 10 mile radius. He can be loud. He can forget to respect your personal space...do I have personal space? No, I don't. But I do remind him to respect other people's right to personal space! Despite all those things that can cause conflict with his peers, they see him. The good heart. The loving soul. The kind person. They see what I see and I'm grateful.

He was the star of the week last month and part of that process is for the kids to make a friendship book for my son. I read over the book last weekend and was struck again by the recurring theme. Time and again I read that Paulo was a good friend. He plays with me. He's nice to me. He's always smiling. And, my personal favorite, that he's a good friend and plays with you, especially if you don't have any other friends. That one totally made me cry. To hear that my boy is aware enough to notice if a child is being left out at recess or is alone and will make the effort to reach out....it still makes me weepy. And it makes me proud.

I have so many worries as a Mom. I worry about safety. I worry about health. I worry that he won't be loved for who he is. But the truth is he is loved, not only by me, but by his peers and that makes me so very happy.

1 comment: