Waging war in the urban jungle

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Communication

It's hard.  It's really hard.  Keeping the lines of communication open in a relationship is scary.  You're making yourself vulnerable to another human being when you say "hey, this is what I need from you."  You're risking the possibility that the answer will be "sorry, I can't, or won't, do that".  It's scary. 

We've been married for over 8 years, together for 10.  There have been bumps and bruises along the way, as all long term relationships experience.  I can't help feeling that it should be easier by now to start those difficult conversations, those vulnerable conversations, yet it's not.  My self preservation kicks in just as strong.  I grew up in a chaotic environment.  Simple conflicts escalated into WWIII with yelling, screaming, threats to pack up and leave....offers to help the other pack...it was not a healthy marriage.  There is a still a part of me that expects my husband to respond to conflicts the way my parents did.  Now, his own patterns are not exactly helpful, he's a retreat and hide kind of guy.  A, if I don't say anything then it'll go away kind of guy.  It's been...challenging....lately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment