Waging war in the urban jungle

Friday, February 19, 2010

LOST: Routine, if found please return to....

Oh my goodness, what a week! My poor little man is finally on the mend. His ear is no longer oozing, his temperature is almost back to normal, his personality is definitely coming back loud and clear. And I am so ready to return to my regularly scheduled life!

I never knew what a creature of habit I truly was until my son was born. Being organized and scheduled makes me feel comfortable. It gives me a sense of peace. Keeps me centered and sane. My routine went in the crapper this week.

A big part of my sanity is the gym. I discovered, rather late in life, that working out makes me happy. If I'd discovered that early in life I can't help but think I would have had an easier time of my teenage years and early 20's! I have not gone to the gym since Paulo got sick, about a week and a half ago. This is really, really bad for my mental health, and the physical and mental health of all those around me! This weekend though I have a date with the gym. And next week Paulo and I will get back to our twice a week routine of visiting the gym. He loves it too, he gets to go and play in the Kids Club while I work out. We both benefit, we both get "our wiggles" out, and I'm a much more pleasant person to be around when I'm done with a work out.

My mornings have also been topsy turvy since Paulo's been sick. The nights were tough for a few days so Rene started going out to breakfast and Paulo and I slept in. This is lovely on one hand, but disruptive to the routine on the other. It feels weird, like we're in summer break already, but we're not, it's February and he should be in school!

Because Paulo hasn't been going to school and sleeping in, he's been staying up a little later than normal and so I have had less adult time. Time to read. Time to do crossword puzzles. Time to watch Lost-I'm two weeks behind on Lost! Time to just BE. Time to not be touched by a sick, yet sweet, 5 year old. I miss my time. I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted with it this weekend.


And boy am I feeling the cumulative effects today. Things are bugging me that would not normally. People are pissing me off. The sound of the ringing phone on my desk makes me crazy. The voice on the other end of the line asking how I'm doing makes me want to scream: You really want to know?!?!?! I'm pissed off!!

Deep cleansing breaths....my routine will return. It's like a dear friend and I so sorely miss her. Come back my friend....come back!

1 comment:

  1. A child not feeling well throws everything off. No one gets the sleep that is needed, the stress of worry eats at you, not working out, no alone time, etc. Yes, routine is good and having no drama is good. Get thee to the gym!

    ReplyDelete