Waging war in the urban jungle

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Signs of life

Often, I'm in such a rush I fail to notice. I saw it today though after I dropped off my son at Kindergarten. I turned the corner to rush off to work and there it was, blossoming trees. The streets are covered by beautiful pink blossoming trees. Ah, the signs of life! Spring is coming!!

The bulbs Rene planted last year are now bright green sprouts with tiny buds, not yet blossomed, on the tips.

If you look closely you can see the buds that will soon grow into leaves on our spindly trees.

This morning as I sat finishing my coffee at 6:45 I looked outside and I could SEE! It was daylight already!

We've been enjoying unseasonably warm weather here in Portland, I've actually needed to wear my sunglasses. It's all just so glorious!

I love Spring and Fall, truth be told, I love Fall the most-but Spring is a beautiful season. The renewal. The refreshing. The colors of flowers blooming. The budding trees. Watching my children play outside after being locked in the house all Winter. It's all so much appreciated after the long, cold, rainy months.

I have to remind myself to slow down and see it. Really see it for all it's beauty and magic. Every single Spring the Earth fights back against the cold and bursts forth with new growth, shimmering with brilliantly colored petals. It's a beautiful thing. This miracle of life and renewal is played out by Mother Nature year after year. No matter what's going on in the world of man, no matter how much fighting, pain or suffering we experience, or damage we do to ourselves or the environment, every single Spring the Earth is renewed-often in spite of us frankly. Every single Spring Mother Nature gives us a fresh start. What will I do with mine? What will you do with yours?

1 comment:

  1. Only the hardiest things survive winter to bloom in the spring. I remember when I was little going into our big back yard looking for crocus flowers because when you see those you know spring is here. It is so lovely when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete