Waging war in the urban jungle

Monday, April 5, 2010

Disappointed

Paulo has a field trip on Thursday. I'm very excited for him but disappointed not to be taking part myself. My little boy is taking the bus with his classmates down to NW Children's Theater to see a play. I wanted to share his first live theater experience with him but the other Mommys beat me to it and all the chaperon spots are filled. I know there will be many other plays in our future, plus I believe some of his own work to be done on stage, but still I'm bummed to miss out on this first one.

And to be honest I am resentful! I resent not being able to stay at home with him and therefore never have to hesitate to volunteer in the classroom or on field trips. But I do have to hesitate. I have to weigh the positives of sharing that experience with the stress it causes when I miss a day both in terms of catching up on work and dealing with cranky Rene. He does not appreciate my absences. He kind of understands...sort of...maybe on a good day....but he is not 100% supportive of me taking time off to be involved with our son's school.

On a positive note I did find 29x34 khakis for Dimitri, but I also did have to order them online. Apparently pants for skinny tall boys must all be ordered on line. Good to know.

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself up. I know it was his first play, and you missed out in it...I totally understand. The same thing happened to me last year! I missed Daniel's field trip to see a play. In fact, I've only been on ONE field trip, in the 3 years he has been going on them. And I'm a stay-at-home mom! But I have Aviva, and can't bring her on the trips...and even if I could, she has appointments and her own school. I wish I could do it all, just as I know you wish you could.

    ReplyDelete