Waging war in the urban jungle

Friday, April 16, 2010

A glimpse

Yesterday was a beautiful day. I decided to take advantage of that and take Paulo to the park on our way home. I figured we'd only have 1/2 an hour or so to play but that was better than nothing!

We stopped at the very cute Metzger Park. It has a nice sized climbing structure with a very steep slide-Paulo loves to go UP that slide as much as down. It is surrounded by trees, has a large grassy field, and is one of the few places left in Portland with a merry go round. I find it funny that the merry go round is still just as popular with my son's age group as it was with mine. What is it about making yourself dizzy we loved so much as kids? Paulo had a great time on that merry go round with a group of older boys, 1st/2nd graders. I love watching him interact and socialize.

I also love how he can make a friend at the drop of a hat at the playground. Perhaps I will remind him of that the next time he tells me that everyone hates him....there was a little guy there yesterday about Paulo's age. Paulo wandered up to him and said hi and the little guy said hi back. Next thing I know they're mapping out a plan of action. The play structure was first their ship and they were pirates. I watched them run around with that theme for a bit, then Paulo switched it. He was Ben 10 and the boy was Kevin-Paulo has become recently enamored with Ben 10. After that the little boy switched it, he was Sonic and Paulo was Knuckles. They were running all over "in character" and having a blast. I'd noticed that this little boy was with his rather young father. Young Dad was approached by a much older woman who started talking about how she hates being on such a tight schedule. I didn't think too much of it, wasn't sure what the relationship was because it was quite obvious they were not related. I almost thought perhaps she is his boss. Why she'd followed him to the park I had no idea. I overheard little snippets of conversation while I watched our two sons play. Soon it was time to leave and again the older lady was apologetic for the time frame and Young Dad said that he didn't mind as long as he got to see his son.....that's when I understood. This was his caseworker. His son would not be going home with him after the park. He would be leaving with the caseworker. I instantly felt sorry for this young Dad and this little boy. How hard must that be? To spend time together and then have to say goodbye, again and again. Unfathomable. Obviously I don't know the circumstances that led to that young Dad losing custody of his son I was only able to see one small glimpse of interaction between the three of them yesterday. But still I felt for him. I seriously had an urge to go talk to this guy and see what happened and how was he making it better. I didn't, I'm not crazy. But I wanted to. I hope he's getting some level of support to make positive changes in his life and get his son back. Wherever you are, Young Dad, good luck! Stick with it! You can do it! It'll be worth it in the end when your son comes home!

In the meantime I feel extra blessed to be able to take my children home night after night after night. Kiss your kids, I know I will mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment