Waging war in the urban jungle

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to my baby boy!

6 years ago today my life changed. My son was born. I remember that day so clearly. All the excitement. The fear. The pain. The complete and utter joy when I held him that first time. He is my most precious gift. I was so nervous and so excited to meet him all at the same time. But when I held him, in that first moment I knew we were meant to be together.



He's changed so much in the last six years. He's independent. He's funny. He's smart, sometimes too smart for his own good! He's such a love bug, very affectionate-for which I am eternally grateful. I don't know what I'd do if he suddenly stopped hugging and kissing me! He's such a great kid.



He asks me sometimes if I wish he was still a baby. And I tell him, that there are moments I miss his baby days, but that I love the boy he is now. If he were suddenly returned to babyhood, I would miss our conversations. I would miss him cooking with me. I would miss him reading to me, and vica versa. That yes, sometimes I get misty eyed remembering the times when he was completely dependent on me for everything, but that I'm so proud of the boy he's become. And I'm so curious to see the young man he will be.



I'm grateful to go on this ride with him. This wild and crazy, and sometimes stressful, ride called Motherhood. I could not have asked for a better son if I'd phoned in the order directly. Yes he challenges me sometimes, but that too seems perfect. If he didn't challenge me then neither of us would grow.



So happy birthday to my sweet, sweet boy, Paulo Rene Rodriguez. Momma loves you so much and I am blessed to have you in my life.






No comments:

Post a Comment