Waging war in the urban jungle

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The arts

Aaron Meyer, a local rock violinist, played a free concert/lecture at the Tigard Library last night.  I saw him at our grade school's fundraising auction last Fall.  He is amazing.  http://www.aaronmeyer.com/ Check him out, listen to his music, it is uplifting, inspiring, beautiful, I really cannot say enough about it.  His music is just so moving.

I decided that I was going to take my six year old to the concert.  I realize that I've over looked a very important part of his development-the Arts.  They matter to me, yet I have not exposed my son to enough of it, I need to change that.  Paulo did-OK.  He was a little restless about 1/2 way though, mind you the concert was only one hour!  Really though he did as well as I expected him to do for his first classical concert.  But the look on his face when Aaron picked up his violin and played those first beautiful notes....that was a look I will never forget.  He was shocked.  About 3/4 of the way through he brought out his electric violin and showed how he could change the sound of the music, now Paulo was paying close attention!  After he was done we, naturally, bought a CD and Paulo said he wanted Aaron to teach him to play the violin, I would love for my son to learn a musical instrument, I never did.  As we were leaving the library I asked him if he'd noticed Aaron's face when he played his music.  My six year old replied, yes, he looked peaceful.  That was the exact word I was thinking when I watched this man play.  He looked at peace.  I envy that-peace

I thanked Paulo last night for going to the concert with me.  He's already asking if we can go to Aaron Meyer's Holiday Concert.  I really want to take him.  We will have to start planning for that, and much, much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment