Waging war in the urban jungle

Friday, August 13, 2010

The bird

No, not the ones flying high in the sky....THE bird.  Paulo has always been a very animated talker, he uses his hands to get his point across, he points...a lot.  He often chose to point with that finger.  You know the one, not the pointer, but its neighbor.  I opted to stay silent.  After all, to him it's just a finger.

Yesterday we're leaving the gym and he's venting about a kid that called him stupid head and we're talking about what he can do differently if it happens again, how he can defend himself, etc., etc.  We're in the car and my child says "you know what else is mean?" I glance back to his seat and see my 6 year old son flipping the bird!  I actually gasped.  "Who showed you that?!" I asked.  "My brother."  Eyes of death fixate on the teenager beside me...."NO! I didn't show him, I just told him to stop pointing with that finger because it means something bad".  I told him that until he said that it was just a finger.  Until you assigned a meaning to the gesture it was just a finger, nothing more.....oh, he says.  That sound I heard?  One more crack in my baby boy's innocence.....sigh.....

No comments:

Post a Comment