Waging war in the urban jungle

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dear Baskin and Robbins

I am not a satisfied customer.  Given the rising occurrence of dairy allergies and lactose intolerance I find it difficult to understand why your franchises would not stock more allergen friendly options.  I phoned two local stores and in one there were a whopping two choices, the daiquiri ice and the tropical ice, the second only had the daiquiri ice.  My dairy free 6 year old has no frame of reference as to what a daiquiri tastes like and is understandably not interested.  He's a child.  He'd like something in a strawberry or perhaps a dairy free chocolate variety.  He's 6 after all and despite not being able to consume dairy he's a totally normal 6 year old boy.  He loves frozen treats.  I thought for sure your franchises would stock some sort of soy ice cream or coconut ice cream options, alas I was mistaken.  Apparently the growing portion of the allergic population is not welcome at Baskin and Robbins.  Duly noted.

An irritated Mother.

2 comments:

  1. Come to Sellwood, we got a Vegan ice cream cart, but yes, not as accessible as Baskin Robins =/

    Even as a random diary consumer: I've never liked them.

    I just looked it up and Ben and Jerry has vegan sorberts... but again, not very accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's where we're going to take the boys next week. It was already 7 when we were looking for a close dessert option. I ended up making them a soy yogurt fruit smoothie instead.

    ReplyDelete