Waging war in the urban jungle

Monday, March 15, 2010

Day five

The weekend passed. My first detox weekend....ever. Normally we have our Friday night drink after work. Our Saturday night drink after Paulo goes to bed. And our Sunday night drink before dinner....uh, yeah it's pretty obvious why I needed to do this. I'd like to say it was easy, no problem, didn't give it a second thought, but I'd be lying. I did give it a second thought, and a third...maybe even a fourth. Especially last night. Sunday night all of my fatigue hit and hit hard. I had gone on Saturday to help a dear friend paint her door mouldings, she's putting her house on the market soon. Then back to continue child wrangling and household managing. Trip to Target with Paulo. Push through a couple loads of laundry. Change the sheets on the beds. Etc., etc., etc. Poor Rene was a wreck this weekend, major sore throat, body aches, fatigue, the works. Saturday night wasn't too bad though, I did crave junk food, but I know it was my fatigue.

Sunday dawned bright and shiny and upbeat, I'm really enjoying the energy and mood boost I get from this detox. I took Paulo to see Astroboy-very cute movie, and I must admit, made me teary eyed, I'm a sap and hormonal. Then we did our weekly trips to New Seasons and WinCo for groceries. My sweet boy asked for a "tea party" at New Seasons-for those of you outside of the Portland Metro area New Seasons is a fabulous grocery store, they specialize in organic food, all of their meat is free range and organic. They do have some mainstream offerings in terms of cheese, lunch meat, chips, but the majority of their food is the good for you kind. So I couldn't deny him. We stopped at their deli after our shopping was done and ordered a Chamomile tea to share and, for him, a peanut butter cookie. He did insist on giving me nibbles of the cookie but knowing it was baked at New Seasons made me feel ok with taking those nibbles. He's such a happy child, it cost me less than $3.00 for our tea party and he sat there as happy as can be. Off to WinCo after that, now WinCo is a store that is known for cheap prices and mainstream food. We're able to skip a lot of aisles though because they're filled with crap. They do offer some good stuff, like Annie's, Pacific Foods soup, Dave's Killer bread and free range eggs, but all of the meat and 99% of the veggies are mainstream. I love their bulk foods section though, excellent supply of grains, beans, nuts and spices.

We finally got home at 3:30 or so and Paulo set off in pursuit of a playmate. Found one shortly after when the neighbor boy came home from his basketball game and knocked on the door. I love watching Paulo interact with his peers....most of the time. This neighbor boy however is almost too close in age and they butt heads. I could feel my stress level rising. Add to the noise level I'm in the process of:
  1. making a fresh pot of green broth
  2. starting my bread dough
  3. making Bulgar for the grain salad I'm eating for dinner
  4. pushing more laundry though

Oh and Rene's really, really, really sick....yeah, my head is about to explode.

Of course it didn't really explode and ultimately all turned out ok. My bread kneading needs work. I was not thrilled with the final product. But this is my first attempt at making a loaf of bread that requires kneading...and lots of it. My soup turned out nice and spicy-I did slice up the serranos Jen! The Bulgar salad was Delicious. And Paulo had a great time playing with his buddy even though to me it sounds more like arguing. But I was tired. Physically tired, my feet hurt, my head hurt, my body ached. I was mentally zapped. If I wasn't on this detox I would have had my pre dinner drink, and boy would that have sucked. So then I would have added alcohol processing to my already overtaxed body. I'm quite sure there would have been tears, from more than one person.

It's a learning and self discovery process that I'm on. It's been positive. It's not easy. I know what my triggers are and fatigue is definitely a big one. This was a busy weekend but I got through it without a drink or a candy bar. This weekend was tough but I think next weekend will be easier. Ingrained habits are really hard to break.

1 comment:

  1. Man, seriously good job! No drink or candy...for me it would be no coffee and pastry. Good good job! I had a donut today.

    ReplyDelete