Waging war in the urban jungle

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Now the work begins

It turns out that Paulo is highly allergic to a variety of tree and grass pollens. He tested positive for Spring allergens, Summer allergens and Fall allergens as well as dust, mites, cats and dogs.

Cats and dogs are easy, we don't have either and now I have a great excuse to not get one. I have nothing against pets, I grew up in a house filled with them, but frankly I'm not home enough to care for a cat or a dog and really, I'd rather not create the extra work for myself!

Dust and mites, not too hard to deal with. I keep the house clean anyway, I will just step up the vacuuming to at least twice a week in his bedroom. Make sure I strip and wash everything from his bed, not just the sheets but the blankets and comforter too, weekly. And he's getting a new mattress. He's needed a new mattress for a long, long time now. This gives me that extra push to get it done. How I'll pay for it...I have no idea, but it will get done. I'd already taken out 99% of his stuffed toys and decluttered his room a couple months ago to make it easier to fight the dust. So this will mean extra cleaning, but that is ok. He's my baby and he deserves to sleep in a clean room that won't make him feel like crap.

The pollen allergies are worrisome. Essentially without medication he'd be miserable 75% of the year. That sucks. Again, makes me consider the bubble like Rhino had in the movie Bolt. But that's not terribly practical. He won't be able to play basketball at recess if he's in a bubble! He would however enjoy bowling...with himself as the bowling ball. For now though we have returned to the morning antihistamine dose, the 24 hour Claritin, and we will continue with the nightly Nasonex treatment. I just am not crazy about the idea of giving him medication 3/4 of his life.

So what else can be done?? There is a lot of chatter on line about dietary changes. Like, even though he's not "allergic" to milk that the milk itself increases mucus production and makes his seasonal allergy symptoms worse. Same with fatty meats, fried foods, you know, the crap none of us should be eating anyway. There is also chatter about vitamin E and extra C doses to help, a few other vitamins and herbs I haven't heard much about. I put in an email to my naturapath to get her opinion. I trust and respect her. It's not that I don't trust Dr. Dan, he's a great guy, but he's a mainstream doc that will suggest mainstream treatment plans. Paulo's allergies are bad enough that when he's older, if he hasn't adapted naturally, then the Doc would suggest immunotherapy. I really hope we don't have to go that route. I would hate to put him through that. If nothing else works then we will have to consider it, but it really sounds sucky.

But back to the diet, Paulo and I talk a lot about his immune system and viruses. I told him a while ago that the virus are like dragons and that his immune system is like a Knight and the Knight needs certain things to make sure his sword is strong enough to defeat the dragons. Things like good sleep, vegetables, fruits, vitamins and water. Those things help his Knight do battle by making his sword strong. Things like sugar, soda, yucky foods, those thing make the sword get really tiny, bug sized even, and then the Knight can't fight off the dragon and he gets sick. So since he understands that concept it will hopefully be easier when I tell him that we need to see if milk products make his sword weak. He loves milk and cheese. Loves yogurt. Loves ice cream-who doesn't!? A two week ban on dairy will be hard for him. Might make it easier on him if I tell him we get to try eating local raw honey-thanks for the tip, Jen! The boy loves his honey. Loves in on his toast, on his waffles or pancakes, in his tea, straight from the spoon will be a real treat.

The search continues and the work begins.

1 comment:

  1. One type of dairy that is casein free or has a different kind that is easy to tolerate is goat's milk. We eat La-Loo's goat milk ice cream (awesome flavors and you should find it at the green grocer) and there are lots of goat milk cheeses (Trader Joe's has a pretty good selection). And goat's milk. Better for you all around w/ more nutrients. Caroline drank goat's milk after she turned one for a few months. So look into that so you don't have to take it all away. Like people who have a gluten sensitivity can still have spelt and other kinds of grains. But yeah, cow's milk is just bad...in all its forms. But if my kids go to a party, they have pizza, cake, ice cream. It is tough and the internet is helpful.

    ReplyDelete