Waging war in the urban jungle

Saturday, March 6, 2010

The lost arts

I just finished step three. I added the 9th cup of flour, the salt, the baking powder and the baking soda to my mix. My sisters in law and I are making homemade cinnamon rolls this morning. I've been up since 6:30 to get the process started. It occurs to me that I'm a bit of a throw back. My mother's generation raised us in the era of convenience. Boxed suppers. Canned soups. Mass produced bread. Loads of sugar and preservatives in our foods. And look at us! We're such an unhealthy society.

But some of my generation is fighting back. We're returning to the lost art of homemade food.

I am reading my mother's bread baking book right now to find recipes to try. I don't remember her making any of those breads! I remember the loaves of white bread she'd make periodically. I have very fond memories of white bread and loads of margarine. But these recipes in this book are amazing! Whole wheat, super healthy, no sugar, very rarely do I see a recipe that calls for white flour. These are exactly the kinds of breads we should all be baking and eating. I wish she'd made more of those breads! And I wish she'd taught me how to make them.

I made homemade chicken stock last weekend and gave my child homemade chicken soup, Rene finished the leftovers for lunch last week, he loved it. He loves chicken soup from a can too, as long as there is no thyme-not a fan of thyme. But making it myself just gives it that little extra something. I love to cook and make good healthy food for my family. I get a boost when the things I make are enjoyed and appreciated by others.

I've been making my own spaghetti sauce for a while now. I couldn't stand how sweet the bottled sauces were. Plus I love being able to add shredded veggies and tons of basil and oregano to the mix. I love the smell of the sauce while it bubbles on the stove.

We are what we eat......today I will be an ooey gooey cinnamon roll that I started preparing at 6:30 this morning (pictures to follow!).

1 comment:

  1. We are what we eat and so many eat crap. Food allergies are off the charts, people are dying of obesity, too many kids are fat, meals come from a box. We need to cook w/ real foods and teach our kids to do the same! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete