Waging war in the urban jungle

Monday, July 19, 2010

A loaded subject-Diet

Webster defines diet as:
1 a : food and drink regularly provided or consumed b : habitual nourishment c : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason d : a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight

When we think of the word diet most people go directly to stage 4 of the above definition.  When the dreaded D word escapes our lips it is usually filled with self loathing and punishment.  It is loaded with negativity, deprivation and pain.  Which is so very sad.  Food is not punishment.  Food is love.  Food is life. 

I love food.  I love to plan meals.  I love the produce section of the grocery store.  I love the smell of food cooking.  I love creating new recipes.  Finding ways to make my time in the kitchen easier.  I love eating.  Oh I really, really love eating.  And I love to see my family eat well.  Food is love.  Food is life.  Without nourishment we cease to exist.  With substandard nourishment our hearts may beat, we may exist, but we do not thrive.  We are not living up to our potential, living with grace, fullfilling our Divine purpose.  I see that every day here.  Our people are not thriving.  We are merely existing, not flourishing.  What am I here for?  What are you here for?  There must be something more, a greater purpose, a Divine purpose.  But if we unwell we cannot find it let alone fullfill it. 

I started a journey toward improving my health last Spring that began with a two week detox.  An anti inflammation diet is what my naturapath called it.  It was wonderful.  It was a really positive and healthy way of living.  I felt great, more at peace, more patient, more energetic.  I began the journey for my physical health, I didn't think that changing my diet would have an effect on my emotional or spiritual self.  I was wrong.  I've found that the cleaner I live the more spiritual I feel.  I struggle to define what I believe in but whatever it is calls to me more clearly when my body is not filled with toxins. 

I've done a lot of reading since then on the different ideas and methods for keeping the body clean internally.  I've finally finished reading Natalia Rose's Detox for Women that was loaned to me by a dear friend.  I'm starting Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet next.  I really enjoyed Quantum Wellness, very inspiring book, but the full "program" was a bit too strict for me.  I like to pick up little tid bits, little pearls of wisdom, from all the different "experts" and then decide what works for me.  What makes my body feel the best?  What elevates my energy, my mental focus, chi or my "life force" as Natalia calls it.  The question has become how can I best support my physical health so that I can grow spiritually and emotionally?  Being unwell takes up too much energy, it saps the body and mind.  It limits us.  Carrying toxins around weighs us down emotionally, we cannot connect with the world around us or the people in it, when we are filled with sludge, and if we are not connected to the world then we will never do anything to improve it.  We will continue trudging through this life, never fullfilling our purpose.  I want to discover and fullfill mine.  Do you?  What will you do to get there?  And could it really be as simple as starting with our diet?  Not deprivation mind you, but nourishment

Food is love.  Food is life. 

How well do you want to live? 

Eat well.  Live well.  Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment