Waging war in the urban jungle

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sorry son, no more beer for you

My sweet baby, Paulo, has been plagued by ear infections and year round allergies.  Since Valentine's day he's had 3 EIs, all in the same left ear.  Two of which ruptured.  It's really hard to watch your son experience the pain of an EI that is on the verge of rupturing.  I'd do anything to prevent that from happening again.  It was heartbreaking.

Here's a brief recap of our journey through Allergyville:
http://theviewfrommyfoxhole.blogspot.com/2010/03/source-of-sneezing.html
The first blood test came back with some environmental red flags but no food flags.  So I decided to proceed with skin testing.
http://theviewfrommyfoxhole.blogspot.com/2010/03/now-work-begins.html
The skin test came back positive for a lot of different pollen allergies as well as dusts and pet dander.  We decided to continue with the daily dose of Claratin and add in Nasonex.  I also decided to take him to my naturapath, Kelly.  http://theviewfrommyfoxhole.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html
Come June, and the 3rd round of infections, I took him back to the ENT we saw when he was 3 for a check out.  He thought that his allergies were the biggest culprit but wanted a scan to rule out any sinus abnormalities.  The cat scan came back showing "improvement" in his sinuses-whatever that means.  He recommended we stick with the allergy treatments and follow up with him in a month.  

By that time though I'd already decided to have food allergy blood tests done again.  This test, recommended by my naturapath was more sensitive.  Yes, I know there is such as thing as too sensitive, but this would give us a starting point for an elimination diet, if needed.  I took him off his daily allergy meds for the required week-boy was that a tough week!  We had the blood work done on the 5th of July and today was his follow up with Kelly.  The blood work results were in.  And the playing field in the old kitchen is totally changed.

My baby boy tested extremely high for egg and wheat allergies and high for dairy allergies.  Oh, and brewers yeast, sorry Paulo, no more sipping Daddy's beer-at least for now. 

The reality is, the daily breakfast of eggs and toast, waffles or pancakes that I happily have served my child nearly every single day for the past oh 4 years or so **may** be contributing to his severe allergy symptoms and his recurrent ear infections.  In the immortal words of Homer Simpson....DOH!

Where does that leave us now?  On an elimination diet.  No eggs, no wheat and no dairy for 8 weeks.  After that we will reintroduce them one at a time and monitor his symptoms.  Yeah, Momma's going to need to do a little research this weekend and some serious pantry purging.

3 comments:

  1. There is hope! Being vegan isn't that bad! I still eat breads and butters and the like. It's going to be a lot of work (on your end) but he'll still get to have similar meals. Maybe try Red Mill for your waffle and pancake mixtures...there is a chinook book coupon for that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I am sorry you have to go through this. The good news is that hopefully by the end you'll know what's what. Plus, there are lots of great substitutes you can look into (I know it's not the same, but still....) Paulo is lucky to have such a committed Momma as you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just really hope it makes a difference. I'm tired of seeing my baby sick!

    ReplyDelete